5. Think about your background. Is the colour right? How does it look ‘on camera?’.
6. Understand good composition. Google ‘the rule of thirds’. Most phone cameras have the option to ‘turn the grid on’ – this will help you setup up your shots.
7. Experiment with different shots. Should it be recorded from the top down, or should it consist of close up shots to show detail?
8. Think about your sound. Try this when recording voice-overs – put two chairs on top of your bed and drape a blanket over the top to create a den. Climb inside and record; its the perfect make-shift sound booth. If you want to up your game, add a music soundtrack. There are lots of online music libraries where you can get free or cheap music.
9. When it comes to the edit, watch, look and listen to your content and then edit again, making small tweaks. If you feel major changes are required it might be worth making a second version so you always have a clean copy to go back to. Don’t just publish the first thing you make. Ask for some feedback from colleagues or friends and don’t be afraid to make changes.
10. Wherever you decide to publish your content, don’t forget to track it. If it isn’t getting the traction you had hoped for, consider what aspects could be improved, make the changes, and try again.
Suited & Booted Studios are a full service video production agency located in Bath and Bristol, working with clients in Swindon, Cardiff, London and across the UK. We offer a full range of video products, ranging from animation to event filming, webinars to video marketing. We cover the entire process from production through to editing.